She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

7/25/2005

I have finished spinning the fall colored yarn that I started a week or so ago. I finished up having 442 yards of the stuff, pretty short of what I would need for the garter stitch shawl from Myrna Stahman's Faroese shawl book. It is beautiful stuff, and I am thinking of making either an enterlac vest or a poncho for Reagan. I probably have enough for either of those.

The sheep seem to be doing okay. They have really been chomping down on the various treats back there, and they seem to be happy. They are starting to get closer to me, although I still can't touch them. They seem to have found some burrs somewhere, so when I shear them in the spring, I am really going to have to skirt severely, unless I can get them calm enough to let me pick them out. They need sheep coats. That is our stray Shiloh there in the back. She would love to play with the sheep, but has been nice enough to stay on her side of the fence. I think she thinks they are dogs, she is a little jealous when I go out to talk to them and she can't get in to be talked too as well. That is about all I have to write today. It is still oppressively hot here, and I haven't been doing much in the way of fiber related stuff other than the little bit of spinning. Hope everyone else is cooler than we are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you learn about the Finnsheep/Hampshire cross? (hope I spelled those correctly) Will they make super soft or coarse fiber?

Your Autumn colored yarn is beautiful and I always think of entrelac in rich earthy colors. Very pretty vibrant exciting plying of the colors in your yarn!

Jan said...

I think it will be a medium grade, probably okay for hats and sweaters, etc. At this point, I am just having fun getting to know them. Ivy is more reserved than her brother, although she seems to be the boss. Tootles is almost fearless, he will walk right up to me and glare at me until I give him grain. I hope how soon they will let me touch them so I can work on getting the burrs off of them.