She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

7/28/2005

Just Plodding Along

Well, I posted something on Monday, but for some reason the photos didn't upload. So I deleted it, and then didn't get back around to reposting it. Things have been so hectic the last week or so, we had a cook out at one of my husband's friends house, and then Sean had a final for the summer semester this week. I haven't seen much of him lately, he is gone before I get up, and gets home right before I go to bed. It makes me sad, but I know that it is something that has to be done.

I haven't got much knitting done recently. I did get the shawl back out of it's hiding place and fixed the place I had messed up on, so maybe (maybe) I will make some progress on that this week. I still haven't decided what I am going to do with the yarn I just finished spinning, I don't think I have enough yardage for even a plain vest, or poncho. I am kind of leaning towards felted slippers now, simply because I do have enough yardage for those. I will have to borrow another needle from my MIL though, I don't have any circular needles that large.

The sheep have finally began to let me touch them. I can scratch their muzzles and the tops of their heads if I hold the feed pail while they are eating. Otherwise, I can't get near them. But at least I think I could get a lead rope on them if I had to. The fuzz on top of their heads is really soft and fine. The burrs though...ugh. It rained (finally) two days ago, and now you can really tell that they found a huge patch of burrs somewhere back there.

This week, we started back to homeschool after our short summer break in full force. Which means once again, I am fighting the battle of organization. This year, I am trying a containment strategy. I got each of the kids a plastic dish pail like thing and wrote their names on them. They will be responsible for making sure their papers, books and pencil are in the pails at the end of the day. Hopefully it will help us to start school more quickly in the mornings, as we won't spend 20 minutes looking for papers and pencils. I also switched to mechanical pencils. We haven't been able to find a good reliable pencil sharpener, and we have spent a lot on them. This way, if their lead breaks, two quick clicks and they are back to work. With the wood pencils and pencil sharpeners, if their lead broke they would spend 5 minutes getting up, walking to the sharpener, standing there while the sharpener grinds away, then walking back, talking to the other two, etc, etc. I also bought them each their own hard backed clip board, so that they will have a solid surface to write on if I send them some place else to work. So far, things seem to be going well.

I guess that's all for today. Here is a picture I took of the Rose of Sharon bush again. There were lots of butterflies flitting around there the last couple of days.

2 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Beautiful picture! Good luck with your homeschool. Sounds like you are off to a good start already.

Lou Schiela said...

Lovely picture! Who doesn't love butterflies? I love your new title bar. What a sweet picture. That's definitely frame worthy!