She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

7/31/2006

I think I am finally getting back into the swing of things, as far as fiber goes. I have begun the first of a pair of pillows to match the new slipcover for my couch. I had a hard time picking out a slip cover. Mainly, the decision was hampered by the fact that I was in love with a certain couch. None of the slip covers was going to make this couch look like the one I loved. Frugality prevailed in the end though, and I picked out a slipcover that looks like bluejeans. I am sure it will stand up well to three kids, it looks comfortable and inviting, and I we saved quite a bit of money. I am knitting the pillows to go with the slipcover from Bernat denim style yarn. It is 70 % acrylic and 30% cotton, very soft, and comfortable to knit with. I was surprised.


I have done enterlac before, but not for a while. I am really enjoying it. It really makes you think about design possibilities. I have also been doing some felting, but that's for another post. I am getting ready to do some dyeing, and possibly wet felting and needle felting another couple of pillows. I am still spinning the lace weight singles, I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with those. I may ply them and knit a smoke ring to wear this winter.

My other obsession this summer has been clematis. I had never really grown any flowers before, but I have enjoyed my flower beds and containers this year. Anyway, I have picked up five clematis plants on sale this year. All had bloomed except the last two, one called Bee's Jubilee and one called Snow Queen. As it's name implies, Snow Queen was supposed to be white. So imagine my surprise when I checked on the plants this morning and my snow queen was a deep deep purple. I don't know what I got but it was not a white clemaits. Oh well, it's still pretty. I really am enjoying the flowers this year.


Well, I had a lot of trouble getting this to type out, so if there are spelling mistakes, I'm sorry.

6 comments:

Sam said...

I had a hollyhock bloom this year that was suposed to be black, and it is a very ordinary medium pink. It is at least double flowering unlike my other ones. My garden is finally starting to look ok after a few years of work. I see that you have been working with alpaca and a drum carder. I have just gotten some alpaca, and need to figure out what to do with it. My friend has a drum carder, but it needed to be fixed. Hopefully it will work when I try again.

Anonymous said...

Love the entrelac. I attempted it today and got so frustrated. Of course I don't have a good book or explanation of it, so if you have any suggestions I would love it. Your flowers are so pretty too. It's been so hot and dry here all I have growing is some very hearty roses.

Laura said...

Aww Jan I've missed reading your posts SO much. But I've been so busy with kids myself that I haven't taken the time to write and ask how you're doing. Your entrelac will be so pretty on the new slip cover and the FI slippers are SO beautiful. The pattern and colors are really wonderful!!

So nice to see you posting - hopefully I can keep up with reading. :)

Jill said...

So glad you're back, Jan. I really miss your blogging.
The flowers really are beautiful. My mother and I both started clematis this year. Mine isn't blooming yet.

Anonymous said...

Jan - glad you are back. I can't wait to see your couch & pillows! Love the flowers.

Tracy Batchelder said...

I haven't tried entrelac yet. I think the pillows will be perfect on a denim couch. Denim is one of my favorite fabrics.

Love all the flower pictures. Looks like you have a natural "green thumb" at growing them.