She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

1/26/2006

Progress

We have had a good morning here. Sean did not have clinicals today, his program is up for review by someone for something,(Way to take an interest there, Jan), which meant Sean didn't have to be at school until 10:00. It was nice to wake up and him still be here, and we had a nice breakfast with everyone around the table and started the day with prayer. However, he's gone now, the kids are already bickering (Reagan is playing the harmonica and the boys don't appreciate her abilities, LOL). For the second day in a row, Ryan can't find his papers and Chad is just being a teenager. Sean will be back about 12, he doesn't have to be at work until 5 so we will get to spend some good time with him today.

I have been really working on getting back on track with the cabled cardigan. After 2 days of knitting, I have done almost 40 rows of knitting, but they seem to be going faster. 20 rows a night is much better than what I was doing before.



And there is always the knowledge that when I finish these decreases I will be knitting 22 less stitches than I was before!


I decided to check how my spinning for the Fair Isle Socks was stacking up against "real" fair Isle Yarn. When I was planning my first Fair Isle project, Anne from She Ewe Knits really went out of her way to help me plan my project. There is a picture of the hat that I made on her site, and I had enough yarn left over (I really over estimated how much I would need)to knit a pair of mittens to match the hat. The second wrap of yarn here is the Jameisons Shetland Spindrift. The top white sample is shetland wool that I spun a while ago, it is a little thinner than the Jameisons. The other two are samples that I spun recently, out of "generic" roving. I'm spinning with as little twist as possible in the singles, so it will be softer. The green sample (carded from blue and yellow dyed roving to make the green) is right on mark size wise (wpi) with the Jameisons. My yarn has a lot more twist per inch (tpi)in the plied yarn though. Since I haven't been able to knit a sample using this yarn yet, I don't know if that is going to be a problem or not.

I watched a really good movie the other day, Diary of a Mad Black Woman. It was written by Tyler Perry, and was a play before being made into a movie. Perry also wrote the screenplay and acted three parts in the movie. My heart broke at the beginning of the movie. The actors and actresses gave really stellar performances. While I wouldn't recommend it for children because of some adult situations and humor, if you haven't seen it, you should. I didn't notice a lot of gratuitous bad language, there were no sex scenes, not one use of the Lord's name in vain*, and the Christians were not the bad guys. Plus there is a scene of a very moving alter call at the end of the movie.

For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
--Psalms 103:11-15


*It really made me happy that the Lord's name was not used in vain in this movie. I can handle some cussing, if I have to, although I don't like that either, but taking the Lord's name is just so unnecessary. It never adds anything to a movie.

1 comment:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The sweater looks great...progressing nicely in my opinion.

I'm not a spinner, and know nothing about it...maybe someday I might take on that sort of thing...maybe lol

As for taking the Lord's name in vain...I'm with you on that one. I HATE when they do that in movies or any show really. I don't care for regular ol' swearing either but I really dislike when they take Jesus' name in vain. My other most hated swear is the 'mf' word...