She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

1/24/2006

Deja Vu

Today, after much perseverance, I finally reached the end of the back of the cabled cardigan.



It was so exciting, I have been knitting on this for what feels like forever, and felt like if I could just reach the end of this one piece, then the others would go quickly and I would soon have it done. I have decided that I was going to do a double needle bind off on the should seams, so grabbed a yarn needle and waste yarn to put the resting stitches on to. I need the needle that it's on to knit the rest of the pieces. Okay, the first 41 go on one loop of string. The second 40 for the neck on the other....What? What's wrong here....read the directions. Shoot! I was supposed to do a series of increases after the first 6 inches of knitting. Like, months ago.

So I ripped it out.


Don't be too dissapointed in me if I am not too thrilled about getting started again. I just feel so been there/done that about this, but I really want to do it. I just don't relish the thought of having to knit all that again, plus the fronts, sleeves, and the buttons band. I will though. It's a battle of wills now.

So what have I been up to besides blissfully unaware cable knitting?

"Designing" the Fair Isle socks. I had a really good idea, and now I am trying to approximate colors with colored pencils on little mock ups of the motifs. It still needs a lot of tweaking. I can't get a color combination that is exactly perfect, yet. Luckily, it will be a while before I am ready to start knitting these.

So, I had been thinking that if I was going to get everything done this year that I want to, I need a rough schedule to keep me on track. Until the cardigan is done, I am going to put a minimum of 2 hours a day on cardigan knitting. I don't want it to be next Christmas before I am done with it. If I start at 6, after dinner, then I will knit on the cardigan until 8. That still leaves me with at least two hours to spin, knit something else, blend colors, whatever. At the minimum, every week I need to spin some, dye some, card some, work on the Fair Isle Chart some. I need to be making progress on it all, if I just wait until I am done with this cardigan, it might take forever to get it all done.

Thou visitest the earth, and waterest it: thou greatly enrichest it with the river of God, which is full of water: thou preparest them corn, when thou hast so provided for it. Thou waterest the ridges thereof abundantly: thou settlest the furrows thereof: thou makest it soft with showers: thou blessest the springing thereof. Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness. They drop upon the pastures of the wilderness: and the little hills rejoice on every side. The pastures are clothed with flocks; the valleys also are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, they also sing. --Psalms 65:9-13

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no. Your cardigan. Sorry to hear about the problem. It really is discouraging, I know.

The FI pattern is so exciting! I'm wanting to try a little FI project - like around the bottom and sleeves of a pullover or something. Just try it out. I might even just have to make a little round swatch to try and see if I can do it. I'm sure the colors you choose will blend so beautifully together. :)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sorry to hear about ripping the sweater back...that would make me cry. I hope it knits up a little faster for you this time.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Oh no!! Not the cabled cardagan! I was just sick when I read that. You are better than me to stick with it. I'm sure I would have to set it aside for a very long time until the sting of ripping was a distant memory.