She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

12/21/2004

Bits and Pieces

This is the hat that I made from the yarn left over from Reagan's hat. I mentioned it on Knitters Review and thought having a picture might help if someone wanted to see what I was talking about. I really loved the way this yarn turned out...

I finished plying another 2 bobbins that were 2/3 full. I now have 1114 yards of laceweight (32wpi) yarn from the Ashland Bay fiber. I still have 3 oz. of fiber to spin, so will probably get 775 yds from that. Based on those calculations, I am going to start swatching for possible shawl patterns. On the list as possibles so far are Madli's shawl from Interweave knits and the Ostrich Plumes shawl from Shawls and Scarves put out by Knitters. Both are beautiful, but I really like the Madli's Shawl. I thought that I had the pattern for the Forest Path shawl, and wanted to do it, but I guess that was just in my dreams and from drooling over the pictures I have found of it on the internet, because the magazine is not in my collection. Maybe I can buy it after Christmas when funds are not as tight. I really love shawls, and have made 2. One was from the Cast On magazine, basically a Faroese style shawl. They made theirs of Lionbrand Homespun, and I made mine from some mystery yarn I had lying around the house. Mine had a smaller gauge, so I had to do more repeats. The other was the one below, made for my grandma, who I adore.

This one is basically the same as the one from the Cast On magazine, but I used different lace patterns. I thought it was a great present for Grandma, she keeps the heat on in her house in the middle of summer. I've never seen it on her though, I live across the country from her. I don't have the heart to ask Mom if she wears it because if she doesn't, it would be devestating.

Anyway, this shawl is going to be different. I don't think Mom would wear a butterfly style shawl, she definitely needs something that she will be able to wear to the office, or something she can curl up on the couch with if that is what she wants. I don't want to just jump into a pattern without really finding the perfect one for this yarn, and the perfect pattern that Mom will love.

Well, Christmas preparations contiune. There is nothing better than Christmas when you have kids in the house. Each of mine spent a certain amount of time looking at the calendar today and announcing to the others that there are only 4 days left. I did a majority of my Christmas shopping online this year, with my surgery and Seans the beginning of the month, it was really all that I had the energy for. Now I am feeling better, and we are all ready to get back into the swing of school after the holidays. The kids are really happier when they have more of a schedule than we have had this month, which is one of the reasons we school year round. The other reason we school year round though, is because I am absolutely good for nothing the whole month of December. I want to be doing Christmas stuff, and I need a break from the intensity of school about that time. But come January, we are all ready to get back to work, so it works out well.

Well, I probably won't post again before Christmas, so I pray that if you are reading this, you have a very Merry Christmas, and that the blessings of the holiday are with you and yours.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. --Luke 2:10-11

No comments: