She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

3/04/2006

We sheared the sheep today, and I thought I would post a couple of photos. This first one is of Ivy as we got ready to shear her. There was lots of trash and VM in her coat but I think most of it will be useable.

This is a closeup of Tootles coat. When I finally got my hands on it, I just could not believe how nice it was. Dirty, but so thick and soft!

Here are the sheep, freshly shorn and indignant. You can see the "Why I Never!" looks on their faces. The coats will keep the burrs and Vegetable matter out of their wool so that next year their wool is nicer. I am looking forward to working on the wool from this year though. I have some pictures of knitting that I will try to put up tommorrow. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but things are hectic as usual, and I just haven't had time. Hope you are all having a great weekend.  Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking sheep. Enjoy your fleeces. Perhaps, one day, when this Army life is over we will have sheepies too.

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun to have your own wool! Is there a reason you couldn't wash the sheep, like give him a bath or whatever, before you shear? The day before or something so he can be dry? Or would it be pointless? Will you leave those covers on them all the time to keep the VM out of their wool? I always love your posts - no matter how often you get to it - there's always something fun to look at and read about. :)

Tracy Batchelder said...

I too was wondering if you would leave the coverings on them all year? I thought you were just trying to keep them warm after their shearing. Also, did you do the shearing yourself or did you hire someone?

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Wow..how cool is that that you have your own sheep! Is it a hard process to go from shearing them to "making" the yarn to knit with?