She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

8/19/2005

I decided to start spinning the ball of roving from yesterdays pictures last night after homeschooling. I divided it into 5 about equal lengths, and then divided each peice of roving into about 18 strips. I decided then that I would try the method of spinning described in "Color in Spinning" where she bundles different strips together and then spins them as one peice. I thought it sounded like a nice way to get a more cohesive yarn, without a lot of the barber poling I have been getting by just dividing the roving up and then spinning each peice by itself.

I decided to bundle the stips in groups of three, and starting with the first stack, I picked up one from each of the first three stacks, predrafted them together, and rolled them up into a ball. Then I did the next three starting with the second stack, the third three starting with the third stack and so on.

The finished bunch of roving. I could tell here that there were going to be problems. All of the beautiful colors from my roving looked like just plain old primary colors. However, I plunged ahead and spun up a bobbin full of yarn, and then made it into a ball and plied it to itself.

This is the result. I really don't like this yarn. (Although I think once it is knitted up into slippers and felted, it will look okay) But the dark blue and bright red are hardly noticeable in this yarn.

However, in close up, this yarn is really interesting. There are lots of colors here. I like the close up of the yarn, just not the far away effect. I think I used too many colors, so I will try this again later with fewer colors and see what happens. Right now though, I have a couple of projects I need to get done. I am thinking of finishing off the Feather and Fan shawl as is and using that yarn for scarves or something. I just don't want to work on it, and life is too short to leave it in the drawer and feel guilty about it. And the yarn is too nice to just ignore. I guess I have to think about it a little more.

5 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

The process of spinning is so interesting! Sorry you lost your favorite colors when it was spun. I think you might like it when it is knit and felted.

Lou Schiela said...

I think the yarn is beautiful. I love the richness it has from all of the differnt colors. I can't wait to see it knit up. I think if you felt it, it will positively glow with all the lively colors. You are a talented spinner.

Anonymous said...

Boy - I've got to admit I was surprised as I scrolled down and saw how muted the colors had become. It will be interesting to see how it knits up.

Lillium

Anonymous said...

I like your yarn. I love to knit with something like that, every inch is entertaining and satisfying. You may be pleasantly surprised by how much you like it knit up, too.

Anonymous said...

Don't like it? Sell it. That's what Hello Yarn does. Take a look at some of the things she's spun... not much different from what you have here. I think it's beautiful, and so might someone who'd want to buy it and use it. http://www.helloyarn.com/pastyarns.htm

-Sarah