She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. --Proverbs 31:13

8/31/2004

Why another knitting blog?

Well, I thought long and hard about starting this. I don't think my knitting is on par with a lot of others, but I think it is good. I try really hard to learn new techniques and styles of knitting, so that it doesn't get old. Mostly though, I wanted a blog because there is no one around here to share it with. Hubby tries to fake enthusiasm, but ya know, sometimes I think he wishes he didn't have to admire yet another mitten, LOL.

So far, my favorite knitting style is stranded knitting. I love knitting with two yarns, the smaller the better. I love a challenge. I usually knit small items like hats, socks, shawls, mittens. Not because I don't think I could make a sweater, but they take lots of yarn, which takes lots of money. Being a stay at home, homeschooling mom, money is not something we have lots of. That's okay though, because I look at this as a warm up. Someday I will have to money to knit a fabulous sweater, and I will know exactly what I want to knit, and how to knit it.

All that being said, here is what I have on the needles. This is the first of a pair of mittens that started out being for my daughter. However, the gauge was way off, and so now they are for my niece. The yarns used in these are all acrylic, because Sarahs mom, my twin sister, has a new baby, and I don't think she would appreciate me sending her something that she had to hand wash right now. Plus, this was in my stash, and had been for some time, and I like the way they look together. The variegated yarn is Bernat Sock yarn, the Fiesta color way. The White is Lion Brand microspun. For an acrylic, I really like the microspun. It is super soft, and a little shiny. The two yarns a different thicknesses, but with microspun pushes the Bernat forward, and I think it looks nice. I don't like the way the thumb came out though, way too pointy. The next pair, I am going to have to fix that.